Indianapolis, IN asked in Medical Malpractice, Civil Rights and Health Care Law for Indiana

Q: Does a jail have to get a prescription to put an inmate on a medication?

I was recently arrested and while being incarcerated the jail put me on a medication called Zyprexa without speaking to any medical staff or doctor. I don't have any prescriptions that I'm supposed to take. The medication they put me on caused extremely visual hallucinations. They gave me an excessive amount the entire time I stayed incarcerated. After they released me the jail took me to a hospital to be observed coming down from the medication. The hospital sent me to a psychiatric hospital because of the hallucinations. Do I have any legal stand point.

1 Lawyer Answer
James Avery
James Avery
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You should not be forced to take medications, especially when they are not prescribed by a physician. This violates the 8th Amendment prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.