Lewistown, PA asked in Child Support and Tax Law for Pennsylvania

Q: My boyfriend receives support in PA. The mother was $1200 behind for the tax year just ending (2019)

Her taxes were to be intercepted for the past due amount yet he only received $500 from her federal and $165 from her state. Why did he not receive the whole $1200 she owes??? We talked to domestics all they know is that the put in a form to intercept, that is all. Wheres the rest of the $$$. She barely pays as it is so this is important to recieve it all.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: Are you sure she was supposed to receive more then what you were sent? The only other reason that I know of why you would not have received the full amount is she may have owed additional debts that had priority or the state did not update the records to indicate the full amount she owed. Also if she is married then her spouse can apply for injured spouse relief and their share of the refund would not be sent to your husband.

Maybe someone who practices family law will know of another reason why you did not receive the full amount.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.