Minneapolis, MN asked in Domestic Violence for Minnesota

Q: Yes can a person be added to a protection order during court without the respondent being properly notified or served

During the hearing I was late to court both me and my ex wife filed motions for protection hers only listed her three boys and her self where as mine listed me and our daughter, now my motion was dismissed due to not being on time but I'm refiling my motion of protection but after the hearing in the motion of filing a file my daughter is now listed on my ex wifes protection or and me as the respondent was not I formed neither by person, mail or anything no motion was filed to amend the order to include y daughter and I thought any change or add to a motion and the respondent has to be notified first before it can go before a judge

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Rogers, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: You could certainly file a motion to reconsider the addition of your daughter to your ex-wife's order for protection. I doubt that you will have much success refiling your request for an OFP since you showed up late. The Court system is not set up to allow for successive requests for orders of protection where a request was dismissed due to showing up late or not showing up.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.