Payson, UT asked in Divorce for Utah

Q: Can a ex spouse get equity on a house that they both owned and have been divorced since 2008.

The divorce decree states that she had 90 days from april 30 2008 to get a appraisal and he has 30 days and neither of them have done this. She she was the equity in the house that wehave been paying for for 12 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lane Wood
Lane Wood
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Your question is going to be fact intensive. I don't think I have enough information here to fully answer your question. The terms of your decree will likely govern. However, there may have to be some adjustments based upon a 12 year delay. I would recommend taking a copy of your divorce decree to an attorney to review and give you specific information. The more that you know going into that consultation, the more helpful it will be. I suggest knowing the current mortgage balance, the balance at the time of the divorce, the current value of the home (at least approximately), and the value of the home at the time of the divorce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.