Meridian, ID asked in Copyright for Idaho

Q: How can I sell an instructional video of choreography to a high school without copyright issues?

I am a choreographer that creates competitive shows for High school dance teams and color guards. These groups learn their show to a specified piece of music and compete within the US to that music during a season. Usually they perform the show 5-10 times and make no money off of this. They actually have to pay to perform. There is no video taping or selling of the shows. They are live only to a recorded piece of music. We would like to package and sell these shows to schools. We would create an instructional video that the students would learn off of. We would need to promote what music they would use on a website. We usually edit music pieces together to create their competitive soundtrack. This would also be used in the instructional videos so they could see how the choreography fits to the music. How can we do this without copyright infringement?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
  • Intellectual Property Lawyer
  • Mesa, AZ

A: For the music, depending on which you do, you could get a license from the recording copyright holder.

Check the manager of the rights, there are agencies that focus on that.

They offer different pricing depending on the use.

Once you have that, assuming no other IP issues, you can record and protect the end product.

Consult with an attorney to make sure you cover all your bases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.