Dallas, TX asked in Divorce and Family Law for Nebraska

Q: bought my house before marriage, soon to be ex wife is refusing to let my dad on the property to mow. What can I do?

We are starting to go through divorce. Bought my house before marriage and she has paid no bills. I work out of state and my father mows. She is currently saying she wont allow him on the property. Can she legally block him from the land?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: In a divorce action, the Court can grant one party the exclusive use of the marital home in a temporary order. If such is the case, then this would generally also include the ability to prevent family members from entering on the premises, including to do maintenance or mow the grass.

If there isn't a temporary order in place, it may be the time to request one.

Generally a home owner can block someone else from entering their land, even if it is for a beneficial service such as mowing. Even if a spouse isn't on the title, they are generally considered a home owner and could block others from entering their property without their permission, especially if they are the only spouse actually in residence on the property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.