Lebanon, IN asked in Estate Planning for Indiana

Q: I am recently divorced with 2 daughters, with some debt and several assets. If something would happen to me, I wish for

My Dad to be the owner of my estate until my daughters are of age to take over. I do not want my ex-wife to be in charge of my estate since my daughters are only 7 and 10. How would I do this? I have a will, but it is when I was married

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: A revocable living trust would suit your purpose quite well. You would leave your estate to your dad in trust for your children. There are many, many other issues to consider but that is the essence of it. You might also think about using a professional trustee instead, however. I say that because I have seen way too many family members steal the minor children’s inheritances.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.