Philadelphia, PA asked in Business Formation for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I re-purpose a dormant LLC into a whole new business?

I have a 10 year old single member LLC (registered in PA). Can I amend my articles of organization and rename the company to turn it into a different business than it was originally created as? I want to capitalize on the age of this entity?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: this answer depends on your documents and whether you have maintained the LLC as active in PA. Most Certificates of Organization filed for LLCs do not contain specified types of business that the LLC will operate. so, in general, as long as the business is legal to operate, your LLC should be able to operate it. You would need to amend the Certificate if you want to change the name, or file a Fictitious Name Registration if you do not want to change the name but want to adopt an additional 'doing business as" name

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.