Eugene, OR asked in Probate for Kansas

Q: How do I obtain ‘simplified small estate’ probate status?

I’m named executor in my brother’s recent will. Need a probate letter confirming this before a bank will set up an ‘estate account’ to pay bills and receive refund checks in his name. His lawyer said probate filing is not needed since the will was recorded only a couple months ago. What do I need to file with probate court to get official executor status letter?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Doug Coe
Doug Coe
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Wichita, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: In order to officially serve as the executor (and therefore have the authority to open an estate account), you will need what's called the Letters Testamentary from the Court. In order to get that document, there are a number of hoops to jump through, including a Petition, Notice, Order Appointing an Executor, perhaps Bond, and a few affidavits. I would strongly encourage you to speak to an attorney, as there are a number of things to consider that may effect your options. The legal fees would likely be an obligation of the estate, not you as an individual. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.