Nashville, TN asked in Tax Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Indiana

Q: Can i claim myself & my 6 month old on taxes this year if:

- Father & i never married

- Father doesnt get a return dur to back-taxes & debts

- Father does not pay child support

- He can claim head of household from Oct 2019 - Feb 2019 for myself & our son

- Before we separated, I txted him that he could claim myself & son this year

- However, due to the separation & inability to work (childcare, lemon car) it would benefit myself & our son if I claimed myself & the baby to put that money toward housing, fixing & insuring vehicle, getting utilities turned on, our sons needs (clothing, food, diapers), etc.

Can I still claim him if i originally told the father he could claim us both prior to separating but have since told him i need to claim us to which he replies "no can do" ?

Thank You,

A Curious Mother

1 Lawyer Answer
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Englewood, CO

A: For IRS purposes whichever parent provided more than half of the support for the child is the custodial parent and is entitled to claim the child.

To transfer that right to the other parent requires a Form 8332. A verbal promise is not enforceable.

Based on the information provided only I would say you were entitled to claim the child and HoH status.

I would suggest hiring a professional to avoid issues and go over your specific facts and circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.