Moorhead, MN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Minnesota

Q: I’m trying to get custody of my brother once I turn 18 because my mother is very unstable. I need to know the steps.

She was just in jail for Meth, Running from law, Hiding a fugitive and driving when she doesn’t have a license. We live in MN. Her probation officer said that it was best for her to come out but everyone else I talk to disagrees. If we talk more I can give more details but I need to know how to get him with me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roger Adams
Roger Adams
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Kenyon, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: I would be more than happy to speak with you, as would many of the attorneys on this site. You need some help to get this done. This is difficult situation. When do you turn 18? Are you currently emancipated? Those would be good first steps. Do you think your mother would agree to you having custody? That may be the easiest option. If she would allow you to have custody, the court process might be easier. Anyway good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.