Merrillville, IN asked in Domestic Violence for Indiana

Q: my boyfriend has been arrested for DV and our daughter was present. This was so out of character

I was injured and my daughter was trying to stop him. She attempted to call for help but he smashed her tablet. He was severely intoxicated and I know this isn’t like him and I just want him to be able to have a standing chance because he’s been charged with a level 6 felony. What can I do? I’m super angry with him but we have a 11 year relationship and he’s never gotten like that before. It was scary but at the same time I just know it’s so unlike him and would like to hire an attorney to help him. Our daughters arm was also slammed in the door when I left and he shut the door. I believe it was an accident but I think he is also having that used against him. I don’t know how to feel but I just want my family to go back to normal. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Plymouth, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Voluntary intoxication is not a defense in Indiana. He needs an experienced criminal defense lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.