Portland, OR asked in Divorce and Family Law for Oregon

Q: I am currently going through a divorce, and have a restraining order filed on me since November for false accusations.

We also have two children that I have not seen since November. We agreed on a parenting plan in court, and than I found out dhs and liberty house were investigating, I was told if there was no fault, visitation would begin in January. DHS finally called me last month and said there was no fault, and theres no safety issues and that I should be allowed to see my children. I however contacted the court and there not doing anything about it stating that i have to wait until July for our divorce case. I was arrested back in december because i violated the restraining order by texting instead of emailing which was allowed by the judge stating in the parenting plan, my wife would never answer me or she would come up with excuses that the children didnt want to see me. Please help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You will need to contact an Attorney directly and ask for assistance. Justia only offers you the chance to ask questions and meet Attorneys who have profiles on Justia. Sadly the courts have very limited services and are not setting trials until the emergency pandemic orders have lifted. Most Judges and staff are not in the courthouse. Your best bet is probably to hire a lawyer to talk to your wife and see if she will voluntarily agree to some type of contact with you children even if it is limited to virtual contact through video chats. A lawyer might be able to document attempts to be reasonable and the continued refusal of your wife to respond to something a Judge will later feel was reasonable could have very adverse consequences for your wife as one of the factors the court considers is the willingness of either parent to facilitate visitation between the children and the other parent. I think you will have better results if you hire an Attorney to make these points with your wife.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.