Pensacola, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: I need help with affording a lawyer for initial proceedings in a divorce.

Married 20 years, separated for 1 1/2 years now. Husband had numerous affairs, and left and moved in with a girlfriend. He keeps EVERYTHING in the business bank account which I cannot access therefore I am with very limited means to afford a retainer or even just begin the process. I am currently at a loss as to what my next step is. I do not want this to be a knock down drag out process. I am currently unemployed thanks to COVID 19 as well. Any advice or help is appreciated as I try to figure out what to do for step one.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Opal Phiona Lee
Opal Phiona Lee
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I think it’s best you contact a divorce attorney and schedule a consultation to discuss. It may be possible for a payment arrangement to be made depending on the facts of your case. Some of us here from JUSTIA offer a free initial consultation. Good luck and stay safe.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.