Hamburg, PA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: In the divorce decree, it states that we both waive child support and alimony. Can I (a year later) change my mind?

We share 50/50 custody, and he makes significantly more money than me. At the time, I just wanted the divorce to be over, and I didn’t educate myself about child support. But after more than a year of supporting myself and my 3 kids, money is kind of tight, and I want to know if I can file for child support at this point.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott L. Levine
Scott L. Levine
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You can file for child support. Regardless of what agreement says, support for children can’t be waived.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.