Gary, IN asked in Domestic Violence and Family Law for Indiana

Q: Domestic

My boyfriend was currently on house arrest, me and him had a argument and I over exaggerated the details of the fight to the police Our two children were present but asleep he was taken to our city jail and held for 48hours. I decided against pressing charges. Upon his release his case worker asked him to return to the lake county jail for a violation of his house arrest. Thus far there are no charges because of our situation. It has been about 4 days but the county jail did decide to hold him until the state decides if they are pursuing charges. Again thus far there are no pending charges or anything for that situation but he does has court again on the 16th of this month. Should we consult with a lawyer before the state decides ? Is there even a reason to yet ? What are the chances that the state will proceed without my cooperation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Plymouth, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You have no control over whether the prosecutor files charges. If you want to clarify the facts with the prosecutor before charges are filed, that might have an impact.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.