Canton, GA asked in Family Law and Elder Law for Georgia

Q: How can I get my father discharged from a VA hospital if my sibling has guardianship?

I live in GA. My sister was granted guardianship of my 87yr old father whom she had involuntarily committed to the VA hospital in Salisbury, NC. He's been there since January 2020, but hasn't been treated for the diagnosis of "unspecified psychosis". She is verbally abusive to him and lacks the capacity to provide him the level of compassion he needs at this time. My siblings & I live outside of NC, but would like to have him relocated to GA as soon as possible so that he can be cared for in a better environment. Please advise. Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You should consult with an attorney who can review the facts of the case in detail and present you with your options. Whether or not you can try to get him discharged largely comes down to the facts of the case. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.