Nashville, TN asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: I have a court order but ex has never paid child support through the courts. Why has he never been flagged?

Divorced my child’s dad in 2013 (child was 2). Court order was to pay through the courts. He has never paid anything through the courts and only randomly pays me directly when it’s convenient (no where near ordered amount). Why has the state not flagged him? What do I have to do to get his payment automatically garnished? Will he know I initiated it?

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You should consider consulting with a family law attorney. I am unsure of the answer to your first question. The state does look into child support matters and there is a child support enforcement office in Davidson County. Have you tried speaking with them? You could file a Petition to hold the Father in contempt for failing to follow the parenting plan or you could speak with the child support enforcement office to determine what action they could take. If you file something with the Court system he will know you initiated it. If he is contacted by the child support enforcement office, he may think you did, yet would likely not be able to prove that. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.