Asked in Child Custody for Oregon

Q: Due to Covid-19, Do I have the right to keep my child home with me in his primary home even if there is a custody order?

I have joint custody of my child. He spends 5 days of the week with me and 2 days of the week with his other parent. The custody order is for 50/50

Now because of the stay home order due to Covid-19 I'm wondering what my legal rights are to keep him home with me in his primary home tell the order is lifted of course.

I feel it would be unnecessary travel and exposure to both house holds yet the other parent has made treats to get law enforcement involved if I do not bring them the child.

What are my legal rights? Please help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: The Oregon's Family Law advisory committee has issued an guideline for parenting time during the pandemic. Most courts have adopted this as an order for cases within that county's courts jurisdiction. You can read my summary of this advisory and go to the links I provided in this blog article:

My advice to you is to follow the normal parenting time schedule. Failure to facilitate parenting time can be grounds for a change of custody. Right now the courts are only doing minimal procedures. If you really really have grounds to believe that this would endanger your child's health or safety then you could try to get an immediate danger order. But read the court guidelines. The pandemic alone, with all it's associated risks, is not grounds to restrict parenting time.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.