Boulder, CO asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: My husband, who is 80 yrs. now, was convicted of stealing a saddle when he was 18. He served jail time, and probation.

Just recently, we have found out that this is still on his record. Is this correct, since he fulfilled all of his obligations at that time?? Can he get this erased, or shouldn't it have been taken care of 62 yrs. ago??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas T. Cohen
Douglas T. Cohen
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The short answer is: It depends. It depends on whether the "conviction" was permanent or some other type of plea (deferred, dismissed) and if he really was 18 or a juvenile under 18.

Also, it depends on the level of "conviction." In recent years, the laws have changed to allow some lower-level convictions to be sealed from public view and removed from public criminal history searches.

Also, is there a reason at age 80 he wants it removed from his record now?

If you want further help you should contact an attorney.

Courtney Edwards agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.