Menomonee Falls, WI asked in Estate Planning for Wisconsin

Q: My mother recently passed, she did not have a will, and has very little assets (about $1200 after mo bills are pd).

No home, no car, no investments , no life insurance, no death benefit on her pension income, just household items. Do I have to set up a probate case? How do I handle her remaining medical bills. She has no other debt, just medical bills that exceed her assets. Do we have to sell her household items to settle bills? There really isn’t anything of value.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas B. Burton
Thomas B. Burton
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Eau Claire, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: I am sorry to hear about the passing of your Mother. In Wisconsin, for small estate less than $50,000 in value, there is a transfer by affidavit process to transfer assets when the total value of the estate is less than $50,000. In this case, if there are no financial assets, and no real estate, and all you have left is personal property, I understand you are hesitant to spend the time and money to open a probate estate for this amount of assets. The personal property owned by the Estate would be considered an asset, and yes it could be sold to pay off any creditors.

However, you mentioned the outstanding medical debts, and if those debts are significant you may want to publish notice to creditors, informing them of her death, in order to start the statutory period for creditors to file these claims. If the medical debts are large, you may want to open some form of an informal probate for the main reason of publishing this notice to creditors. The good news is that debts of the decedent die with them, so you are under no legal obligation to pay those debts, if her debts exceed her assets. You can sell the household items and use them to pay the debts of the estate, but if the debts exceed the assets of the estate, and the debts are unsecured, then the creditors have no recourse. I would consult with a probate attorney in your area if you need help with any of this. There is also a very helpful guide to probate for people who seek to do it themselves available here

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.