Baker City, OR asked in Child Custody for Oregon

Q: Father has sole custody and trying to move kids over 400 miles away. Will the court allow him?

I ran away from my ex husband because he was mentally abusive. My kids were safer there than living with me in my car and I believed him when he said he wouldn’t take them from me.. fast forward 3 years and I am living back in the same town. Have the kids as often as he will allow me to according to our paperwork. Now he is trying to move the kids away. I know I can use that as a change of Circumstance. He is moving because his gf got a good job. My kids whole life is here. I got my oldest into karate for the last 1.5 years. Family. Cousins my ex won’t allow them to see. They have two older siblings with him that he doesn’t allow my kids to see. And they have a little brother from my new fiancé and I... I guess my real question is do I have a chance to get them back with me? I have a bit of PTSD from our marriage and all I can hear in my brain is he will win... also I’ve never done drugs and don’t drink.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: A short post and response on social media is not going to be sufficient to address your concerns. Also it exposes your discussion to the public. For this type of situation you really want to make an appointment with an Attorney and have a private consultation where you can freely discuss the details of your relationships. Don't post any more on social media about this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.