Deerfield Beach, FL asked in Probate for Kansas

Q: how do i file for "standing" on my fathers estate my step mom has not produced a will he passed in january

i also need to admit the probate to the court is that something a lawyer will have to do or can i also dose it matter what order and is there anything else i should be doing

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Doug Coe
Doug Coe
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Wichita, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: In Kansas, generally, the first step is to petition the Court for the admission of and probate of the Will. Any interested party can do that, but you'll need a copy of the Will. You don't technically need a lawyer, but it will be a big help. Generally those legal fees are paid for out of the estate, so I'd encourage you to hire an attorney. If nothing else, it would be good to hire an attorney, even for just a few conversations, to figure out a list of everything you'll need to do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.