Bend, OR asked in Tax Law, Family Law and Child Support for Oregon

Q: My spouse claimed me and our two kids on taxes and stimulus payment then moved and kept all of our money. Is this legal?

He waited till he got all the money in his bank and moved in with his new girlfriend. Has not provided anything for me or house or children.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Not sure I understand everything that is going on and you will probably have to have a one on one with a lawyer at some point to sort this out. Courts are pretty much close right now so you won't get a hearing any time soon to order him to pay support but the child support offices are probably still working. Contact your local district Attorney, child support division, and find out what you can do to initiate a child support claim. You may also be eligible to get welfare and snap benefits and by doing so this will also launch a child support case against your husband. Speak to an Attorney if you can as they may be able to give you other helpful ideas.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.