Paterson, NJ asked in Child Support for New Jersey

Q: the father of my children owes 6,000 in child support and works in O.K. state, asume has sent letters but nothing hapens

The father of my 2 kids has an order with asume for $200 a month which he has never paid, he is up to 6,000 now and is registered working legally in oklahoma, which also means he has been reporting in his taxes that he works. Asume has sent numerous letter to the payroll dept to get direct deposit but they never respond and he doesnt get money taken out of his taxes to pay the due. what can i do? asume isnt much help all they do is send letters and i cant contact anyone in oklahoma

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Lets start with the basics. You have an order out of a state family court for the payment of child support, requiring the father of your children to pay 200.00 per week. I dont know if that order was entered out of a family court in NJ or elsewhere, but presuming you live in NJ, you have the right to ask for its enforcement through the probation department, which means that you will go down to the probation department to open an account and you will also provide them with whatever information you have as to the fathers employment in Oklahoma, telephone number, etc. The probation department can then proceed with an application before the family court to reduce the amount owed to a judgement against him and then they can send that order ( reducing the amount owed to a judgement) to the Oklahoma probation department system for enforcement. The Oklahoma probation department system will then enter it in their system and move to garnish his pay and forward the money collected to your local probation department account. My sense is that you have been calling people in the child support sections of the court system for assistance but they cannot help you unless and until the proper procedures have been followed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.