Atlanta, GA asked in Uncategorized for Georgia

Q: I have an outstanding debt with my old apartment. What should I do so that I’m able to move again.

I am not able to pay fees all at once

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anitra Walker
Anitra Walker
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Did the old apartment complex file an eviction and get a money judgment against you or did they sue you after you left and obtain a money judgment? If so, one option is to contact the old apartment complex in an attempt to reach a settlement of the debt. The settlement should require the apartment file a satisfaction of debt once they are paid. A settlement can be either a reduced lump-sum payment or an agreed-upon monthly payment amount. Once you have completed all payments, the apartment complex will file the satisfaction of debt. The fact that you resolved the matter with your old apartment complex will more than likely view favorably for potential landlords.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.