Philadelphia, PA asked in Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: can i move out of state with my children if there is no custody agreement

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Karen  Ulmer
Karen Ulmer
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Langhorne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Even if there is no custody agreement, you still must follow the rules of relocation or you may be faced with a petition to return the children to the state and possibly and interim order giving the other parent custody until a hearing can be held. Unless the other side agrees to the move, you must wait until you have your hearing. That being said, there is nothing illegal per se in moving (meaning it is not criminal unless you fail to provide an address) and if the other side does not care and does not do anything you are not breaking a law by moving but it is best to follow the relocation as you are risking a civil action to return the children and you could lose custody in the interim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.