Clarksville, TN asked in Wrongful Death for Tennessee

Q: I am currently trying to find out if a gun was taken in as evidence and if so the probability of having it returned

Short backstory: My significant other was shot and killed in july 2019. I was informed it was taken in for evidence even though it was not used or even pulled to my knowledge. I'm trying to figure out if it was in fact taken by the police or some one else. TIA

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If there was a prosecution of an alleged murder suspect, then you can file a motion for its return in that Case. If no prosecution is involved, then you can start calling the Sheriff or Chief of Police whose department investigated the murder. Ultimately you can file suit against the seizing agency for Conversion and an Action To Return Personal Property. One single firearm is rarely worth the trouble.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.