Denver, CO asked in Business Law for Colorado

Q: I left a company where my likeness is still used on their promotional content. Can I legally get them to remove it?

Is there a law in Colorado citing that I have the right to ask my former employer to remove my likeness from their website, social media, and any other place that is used to promote to prospective employees and clients? The relationship I had with the employer was hostile and I would rather not be associated with the company in any way. I never was prompted to sign any document giving my permission to use my likeness, and while I was ok with being featured in photos during my employment, I would like them removed now that I am no longer employed there.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If you didn't sign an agreement to allow the employer to use your likeness in their advertising they do not have a right to do so. You should provide notice you do not want your likeness used. You'll probably end up needing to retain counsel to make them take it down.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.