Jamesport, MO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Missouri

Q: i'm 14 and neither of my parents have sole custody of me, so can i live with either parent?

p.s. there is no court doc. saying who has full custody

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: The most simplistic answer is that without a court order your father may not have legal rights to make decisions for you. This could cause problems at doctors' offices, schools, etc. The good news is that, yes, you do get a say in where you want to live. How much your voice is heard on the matter depends on how reasonable your parents are and what all the other facts are. If you can, discuss it with both parents or with a school counselor or teacher you trust (by email probably right now).

If there is a court order for joint custody (not sole or full like your question states), that order gets followed until your parents either agree to change it or a court orders it changed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.