Ogden, UT asked in Child Custody for Utah

Q: My parents kicked me out but kept my child. I want to go get her now but they won’t let me.

My husband and I had moved into my parents back in August of last year from St George so he could finish school at Weber. My parents made us sign a contract in order to move in- no drinking no smoking no cussing. And we werent paying rent . In December my husband left me so I was living with my parents just my daughter and I. I had a job at the time and I still currently have that job. In April I went to Vegas for a week to see my new boyfriend. I planned with my parents to watch my daughter while I was gone. When I came home they kicked me out because of the corona virus and that I had broken the contract. But they were keeping my daughter because now I am homeless and the corona virus was spreading so they wanted my daughter safe. Which I understood so I moved in with a friend. This was the middle of April. I have been living with my friend for the month and I just got a new apartment so I could get my daughter back and now they’re telling me I can’t have her yet. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lane Wood
Lane Wood
  • Licensed in Utah

A: I am sorry to hear that you are going through this process. You may want to consider calling the police. Unless they have established guardianship over your daughter, they have no legal rights to keep her from you. If that is not successful, consider doing a consultation with an attorney who can provide more specific advice based upon the facts of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.