Orlando, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: Can I take my kids to my mothers house when I separate??

My husband is abusive and controlling

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Opal Phiona Lee
Opal Phiona Lee
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: First of all, sorry to hear you are in an abusive relationship. You should take appropriate measures to protect yourself including speaking scheduling a consult with an attorney for guidance. Second, much more information is needed before you can receive a specific answer to your question- for eg, is your mother living in the same State as you are. Generally, a person is able to take their child anywhere that is appropriate unless there is an order prohibiting such actions; removing the child from the State during or prior to the filing of a court proceeding may be problematic. Again, you should schedule a consult with an attorney to obtain specific advise.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.