Rockledge, FL asked in Public Benefits, Social Security and Health Care Law for Florida

Q: How do I go about appealing a denied disability case? I have Type 1 Diabetes and Severe Gastroparesis which impairs me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: Once you have a notice from the Social Security Administration (SSA) denying your claim for disability benefits, you have 60 days to appeal by stating in writing that you disagree with the determination that SSA made. You can find the forms used for appeal at For more information, see

If you have any additional medical or other evidence to add to the record, you can do so on appeal. An SSA adjudicator will review your case and make a decision based on the medical an other evidence in the record. At the Administrative Law Judge level of appeal, usually a hearing is scheduled for you to present your case. You may want to consult with a Social Security disability attorney to help you with your appeal. However, do not delay in filing the appeal because it will adversely affect your appeal rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.