Asked in Estate Planning for Arkansas

Q: I live in Minnesota.... I was married in Arkansas, Pine Bluff.... my husbands father died and left EVERYTHING to my

Husband (his son) last son....but his dads sister Carolyn is getting death certificates so she can sell the rest of his dads property! She already gotten rid of the house and we didn’t get anything

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: It sounds like a probate case has been opened and your husband's aunt has been appointed as executor. It is not unusual for estate property to be sold but for the distribution to take place much later to allow time to sort through and pay creditor claims. However, if the estate is in fact being mismanaged, you can't just wait and hope for the best. It is possible to lose rights due to failure to assert them on time. Your best bet is to hire a probate attorney in or near the locality where your husband's father died to help you sort this out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.