Jackson, MN asked in Family Law for Minnesota

Q: My gf parents are really strict to her and it’s ruining her mental health what can she do she wants to leave

she 16 almost 17

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark William Perron
Mark William Perron
  • Hugo, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: She can certainly petition the Court for emancipation. There is no real bright line test, but the Courts have a lot of discretion in declaring a minor emancipated. Some of the factors include the minor’s living situation, consent of the parents and the overall situation or actions created by the minor or the parents.

Once emancipated, she would be able to move out, sign a lease and/or get loans. However, even though she would be acting as an adult, she still would not be able to do things like smoking, gambling, etc. That would have to wait until she is of the correct age.

When it comes down to it emancipation means that a minor has the same legal rights and obligations as an 18-year-old adult. If a judge were to find that she can support herself and it is truly in her best interest to be emancipated, it could certainly be granted/.

If she is interested, I would certainly contact an attorney that specializes in there area. Not sure how much push back there would be from the parents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.