Maple Grove, MN asked in Adoption and Family Law for Minnesota

Q: Can I get adopted after being emancipated?

I want to get emancipated because of failure to parent, can I get adopted by someone else, or is there a different process to that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roger Adams
Roger Adams
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Kenyon, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Yes. You are legally considered to be an adult, however Minnesota law is clear:


(a) Any adult person may be adopted, regardless of the adult person's residence. A resident of Minnesota may petition the court of record having jurisdiction of adoption proceedings to adopt an individual who has reached the age of 18 years or older.

(b) The consent of the person to be adopted shall be the only consent necessary, according to section 259.24. The consent of an adult in the adult person's own adoption is invalid if the adult is considered to be a vulnerable adult under section 626.5572, subdivision 21, or if the person consenting to the adoption is determined not competent to give consent.

(c) The decree of adoption establishes a parent-child relationship between the adopting parent or parents and the person adopted, including the right to inherit, and also terminates the parental rights and sibling relationship between the adopted person and the adopted person's birth parents and siblings according to section 259.59.

(d) If the adopted person requests a change of name, the adoption decree shall order the name change.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.