Maple Grove, MN asked in Adoption, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Minnesota

Q: Can I get emancipated at 16 if I’m emotionally and verbally abused by both sides of parents?

My step dad goes into blind rages and verbally and emotionally abused me and kicks me and my siblings out of the house, when I leave the house because I don’t feel safe which is legal in Minnesota they threaten to take away everything like my phone and car to get me to come back to where I don’t feel safe. My mom does not believe my counselor about my diagnoses so I can’t get proper help for it, and my step mom physically abused my dad and verbally and emotionally abused me, giving me ptsd plus three other diagnoses. I am good with money and pay for my own car insurance and gas (my car is already payed off) and I have a family who agreed to let me stay with them if I get emancipated.

1 Lawyer Answer
Roger Adams
Roger Adams
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Kenyon, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: First let me say how sorry I am for this difficult situation you are in, and you should seek assistance. As far as emancipation, Minnesota Statutes do not provide either the grounds or a procedure for emancipation. Minnesota case law has established that a minor can be emancipated by a legal marriage or by parental consent. If parental consent is not possible you may to involve the court further. Because of your age, perhaps a more appropriate action would be to see if the family that has agreed to let you stay with them, might be willing to be foster parents. Hang in there. Be safe.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.