Leavenworth, KS asked in Collections and Landlord - Tenant for Missouri

Q: I am being charged for the smell of smoke in my old apt, I do not smoke, nor was anyone in my apt that smoked what

(Con’t)...are my options in fighting this as I dont want it to go to collections

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Your options include

1. Paying your landlord or not opposing deduction of the money from your security deposit

2. Paying an attorney to negotiate with the landlord but this might cost more than the charge you are fighting

3. Filing suit to seek the refund of your security deposit if you believe funds are wrongfully being withheld

4. Defendant a lawsuit pro se if you get sued or spending more than the disputed charge to hire and attorney to defend the case

I hope you can simply convince your landlord not try to charge you for smoke if you didn't smoke or have smoking guests.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.