Poulsbo, WA asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Idaho

Q: We are in the middle of disputes regarding business partnership of 8% and we have been receiving K-1 form every year.

We have not receive anything for this partnership or share of any income from my parents ranch. We received a letter from their lawyer referencing the Redemption of the Ranch units and relinquishing the share of my birth right for a very minimal amount and if we don't respond by May 8, 2020, then this means we agreed to their terms and this deal is sealed. We need a lawyer in Idaho that specializes in this type of case. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: I agree that you should have a licensed, experienced lawyer look at this “Redemption Agreement” before doing anything. A so-called “birth right” is typically handed down from a Testator in a will and a third party isn’t likely to be able to force you to relinquish your shares. This sounds like a Trust and the Trustee or another family member, is attempting to strong-arm other family members into giving up or selling for an undervalued amount, their shares in this family ranch. I would like to review the trust as well as all correspondence between yourselves and the parents’ lawyer!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.