Stone Mountain, GA asked in Estate Planning for Georgia

Q: Can I stop my brother from stealing inheritance money?

Over 5 years ago my father told my oldest brother and sister that he wanted to leave the house to me since I had been taking care of him for over five years as his caregiver. They fully gave their blessing. Without my knowledge, another very untrustworthy brother that my father purposely left out of the conversation offered to update the Will, but never did so he would still get his cut. It was purely a selfish and evil act. Anything I can do to stop this theft?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I cannot tell from your question if your father is still alive or not. If your father is alive, all he needs to do is change his will again to reflect his true wishes. What someone tells you during life is unenforceable when that person dies unless it is in his will. If your father is dead, and if his will is as you state, you can contest his will. That will not serve to give you the house, but instead will make it so that your father's assets are distributed to his heirs equally.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.