Indianapolis, IN asked in Child Custody for Indiana

Q: If you have sole custody of your kids and the dad won't give them back, why won't the police help?

A friend recently got kicked out of her house. She has sole custody of her kids but the dad won't give them back or let her see them. She has an apartment lined up and can take the kids to her parents or a shelter with her. Is it legal for him to keep the kids and why won't the police help her get them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Mario Acosta Jr.
John Mario Acosta Jr.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Based on the information provided in your question this is a civil family matter and the police typically do not enforce civil family orders when the child is with a biological parent or guardian. Additionally, I would add he has some arguments to justify the actions if what you say here is true.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.