Portland, OR asked in Family Law for Oregon

Q: 17 and a half years later a woman is saying that I am the father of her child. Can I sue for lost parenting time?

The child is almost an adult. I have never seen him. If she thought I was the father why didnt she tell me years ago?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I don't know of anyway to sue for this. I have no idea why she didn't tell you. You should ask her that. It may not be true. Keep in mind that being a parent would have obligated you to pay child support. It still can. In Oregon child support is until the child is age 21 if they are a full time student. I you don't mind paying child support you can contact the district Attorney's child support enforcement division and ask them to prove your paternity and get you started paying child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.