Duluth, MN asked in Family Law for Minnesota

Q: Do I have a legal right to see my niece? Is there a way to get some sort of court order protecting my right

I have a younger "brother". He is my cousin but was legally adopted my parents when he was 16 years old. He has a child with a woman, who he is not/ was never married to. He may be seeking his visitation, I do not know what he is doing.

As the legal "aunt" is there a way I can have legal rights to see my niece?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roger Adams
Roger Adams
  • Kenyon, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: As the Aunt it would be very difficult to get visitation awarded. The court takes into consideration certain family relationships where the child has more of a parental relationship with say an aunt or a grandparent, but even then it is usually denied by the court. The best option is to try and make nice with the ex and see if you can have a role in your niece's life.

Mark William Perron agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.