Minneapolis, MN asked in Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Minnesota

Q: do i have a right to make someone leave my home ASAP? hes an ex who has moved out and back in several times demandingly

ive asked for an OFP but it was costly and the judge recommended working it out. the police say he can stay here and we have to work it out. he has never paid rent, no utilities and has Coherced me into spending most of my inheritance over the past 2 years in the amount of $40k. hes verbally abusive and a narcissitic gaslighter. he just unloaded a ton a belongings into a spare room so he can have his own space???? the last time we fought was in jan i ended up in jail for assault due to throwing a lysol can at him because he pushed me into the fireplace after yelling at me for 2 hours. the police took me let him stay and made my 17 year old daughter find somewhere else to go. (she wasnt home during the argument)....and she refused to come back due to him being here. i need help. i think he has the police on his side. he has different personalities and can manipulate everything in his favor. i feel as though he is intenally making things break. moves things so i cannot find

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rogers, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: An OFP should not be costly. There is no filing fee for the petitioner and the court is required to grant the OFP if the court believes that there has been domestic abuse. I would suggest seeking an OFP to protect you. The OFP would exclude him from the residence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.