Lawrenceville, GA asked in Traffic Tickets for Georgia

Q: i just got a ticket going 92 in a 65 but the officer knocked it down to 78 in a 65

it is my first ticket and i am 19 years old and i have no idea what i can do especially since he gave me a break what should i do and how much should i expect to pay? it says there is a court notice but no court case number so am i able to just pay it online or do i still have to show up to court? and will this raise my insurance because i am on my own policy.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sean McIlhinney
Sean McIlhinney
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Norcross, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It is great that the police officer reduced your ticket to 78 mph in a 65 mph zone because if you were convicted of speeding 92 mph in a 65 mph zone, pursuant to GA law, you would suffer a 6 month license suspension since you are under 21 years of age.

Assuming, (1) that the ticket is charged on the ticket as 78/65 mph zone and assuming (2) you have a GA driver's license, the ticket will not appear on your GA driving record since it for less than 14 mph over the posted limit and should not impact your car insurance, assuming (3) that you plead guilty to 78/65 mph as initially charged and pay the ticket fine timely.

I would advise following the instructions on the ticket or contacting the court clerk for information about paying the ticket if you decide to plead guilty to the ticket as charged.

I have been practicing law for over 24 years with a focus on criminal defense, traffic tickets and personal injury.

Please do not hesitate to personally contact me if you ever need legal help. If I am not able to assist you with the case, I will always work to point you in the right direction with another attorney.

Stay safe and good luck!

Sean McIlhinney, Esq.

Office: 678-387-6920

Cell: 404-932-3099

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.