Hermitage, PA asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: My neighbor has an outside light on the side of his house that lights up my whole yard and house. Anything I can do?

Neighbor has an actual streetlight mounted to the side of his house. I’ve told him it comes in my windows and makes doing anything after dark in our yard a nuisance. But he said we live in a dangerous neighborhood so he needs it. Which we don’t. My grandparents lived in this house since 1958. And I grew up one block away. My grandparents had to move their living room to the dining room because the living room was in the front of the house where the light comes through. My grandfather refused to sleep in the large bedroom in the front of the house because the light shines in the window even with blinds down. The light is so bright I can read a newspaper 100 yards away from the light.

1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Yes, but it will likely be a huge and expensive hassle for you. The light spillage could be considered a "nuisance" in the law, and you could ask a court to make him take it down (or at least replace it with a light that isn't as bright). Such an action, however, must be brought in your county's Court of Common Pleas, and you're looking at a minimum of a couple hundred dollars in filing fees -- and then litigation to even get in front of a judge. And I'm presuming that you're not a lawyer, so you'll need to hire one to help you navigate the legal system. All of this takes time and money.

Of course, you could also have that lawyer initially send your neighbor a letter threatening to do all of these things -- with the understanding that HE will also be losing time, money and maybe the light if things go to court. Realize, however, that your relationship with your neighbor will never be the same, but you may not care at this point.

Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.