Howard Beach, NY asked in Tax Law for New York

Q: i am a college student and was doing my taxes online, had a few general questions

Hi there,

im filing from New york

So basically the past year i worked off the books for ca heap wage off campus on a resturant, and so have no W-2 and thats why manually plugging the numbers

my important question is I was scammed a year ago of $3000 and thats why i had to pay my bank back slowly in monthly increments., a few months ago my bank said that i dont need to pay around $650, but theyll report it on my taxes. they told me to call IRS but right now theres no way for me to get in contact with them so i need help

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
George E. Patsis
George E. Patsis
  • Lindenhurst, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: According to the IRS, when a debt is canceled, forgiven or discharged, the canceled amount is part of your gross income and you must pay taxes on that income unless you qualify for an exclusion or exception. Creditors who forgive $600 or more of debt for you are required to file Form 1099-C with the IRS.

Jonathan David Warner agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Jonathan David Warner
Jonathan David Warner
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Albany, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I'd recommend visiting the IRS' website and requesting your wage transcripts online. This will give you a fairly clear representation of all the income that has been reported as earnings. If you are uncomfortable doing so on your own, consider discussing this matter with a tax preparer or attorney.

Good luck with your case!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.