Atlanta, GA asked in Car Accidents for Tennessee

Q: Can I be cited for leaving the scene on private property. While parking damage occurred at minimal.

Unable to contact other party as they were inside at work and I do not know the individual. I left at the end of my shift. A officer called me 6 days later to speak with me and cited me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brandon D. Fersten
Brandon D. Fersten
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: In short, yes. Leaving the scene of the accident with damage to another vehicle that appears to be less than $1,500 is a Class B Misdemeanor. A Class B Misdemeanor carries a maximum jail time of 6 months and fines up to $500. The court in addition to or in lieu of those penalties can require you to attend a driver's education course that may cost between $50-175.

InTennessee, absent an exception to the warrant requirement, a warrantless arrest for a misdemeanor that was not committed in the officer's presence is illegal.This is a potential defense depending on other circumstances of the citation, including the court that you were charged in. If it is a citation in municipal court, or city court, then the defense is not available to you. However, if you were cited to general sessions court, you may have a defense.

Regardless, your citation is likely something that an attorney in Tennessee can handle for you to at least stop you from getting points on your license and your insurance rate going up. Depending on your driving history, an attorney may be able to help fight the ticket, potentially without you appearing in court, to get the citation dismissed. Wish you the best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.