Philadelphia, PA asked in Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: Hi. I want to file for custody of my child but my childs father will not give me his address.

I live in pa. We've been here for almost 2 years now. He does not pay child support. He does still talk to her everyday but he just won't give me his address since he just moved to Oregon state.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: There's a trick I often use to get someone's new mailing address -- but it presumes that the person has officially changed his/her address with the U.S. Postal Service.

Send him a letter. Just under your return address in the upper left corner, write these words in capital letters under your own address: "ADDRESS SERVICE REQUESTED". The U.S. Postal Service will then provide you with a copy of the new address, although I think they charge you 50 cents or some similar small fee to do so. See further information here:

If that doesn't work, you could file for child support in Philadelphia, and the Domestic Relations Office has ways of helping you determine his address. Of course, you could just ask his friends and family as well, esp. if you're still friendly with his family.

Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.