Antioch, TN asked in Contracts, Family Law, Civil Rights and Health Care Law for Tennessee

Q: How can someone get their power of attorney back from a guardian?

I'm married and polyamorous, my boyfriend was forced to sign over his legal rights to his family because he's disabled. His family recently decided to control everything he does, including a rule that he has to update them on where he goes. He's 25 and fully functioning. He wants to get his rights back, but we don't know how to go about it.

1 Lawyer Answer
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Normally, a power of attorney can simply be ended by the rejection of the POA. However, it this is court ordered as you question suggests, he will need to retain counsel, file a petition and have a hearing to prove the POA is no longer needed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.